Open your mind, Open your life!

A journey into my personal battle with breast cancer.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Race for the Cure Miami 2007



I participated again this year in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in downtown Miami which was held this past Saturday, October 20th. Last year was the first time I had attended the annual event -- four weeks after learning of my own breast cancer diagnosis. My father did the entire 5k walk with me last year without complaining at all. He didn't even complain that he got no breakfast before we left the house at 6:30 in the morning. (That's how I KNEW this man loved me! Ha, ha.)

Each year, it is such a powerful experience to be among so many thousands of people who come out for the event! The Survivor Ceremony above all is the most emotional part of the day. It is bittersweet to see and stand among so many survivors ... but then it reduces you to such tears to know that so many women have been afflicted with this disease at all, and how unspeakable it is that so many have also lost their brave fight to this beast.

I am almost ashamed to say that last October was the first time I had truly ever noticed all the pink ribbons and advertisements about breast cancer awareness. I thought to myself that maybe it had suddenly become so much more commercialized in 2006. (Now I conclude it's sort of like until you purchase that bright yellow VW bug for your own driving pleasure, you never notice any other bright yellow VW bugs on the road. Unless, of course, it's a Truly Nolen vehicle, but then how could you miss the mouse ears and tail that go along with it?) It should come as no surprise that breast cancer awareness is a cause that will forever be a meaningful part of my life now. Accordingly, I was determined this year to help raise money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation which is the world's largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Komen Race for the Cure, nearly $1 billion has been invested to fulfill its promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.

I was so genuinely touched and overwhelmed by the kind, generous donations so many of my family and friends made to my personal fundraising goal of $1,500.00 this year. In fact, I well exceeded the goal and raised close to $2,500.00. Thank you again to all of you wonderful earth angels who joined me in the effort to move towards eradicating this dreadful disease!

It was also a source of great personal pride that I was able to actually RUN the entire 5k (or 3.1 mile) race this year! Yes, ME! The one who always says, "There's only ONE thing I think about the entire time I run. That is 'When can I stop????'" But I did it, after training on outdoor runs with my cousin, Tanya, for approximately 4 weeks. I finally figured out how to run without being totally exhausted. I just had to slooooooowwwwww down my pace to damn near a shuffling of my feet. I started out training at a 17-minute mile pace, and now I can run at something closer to 13 minutes per mile. Ultimately, I completed the race in 48 minutes, but at least 3-5 minutes of that time could be shaved off because of how difficult it was to get around the crowd of people at the start line who were walking. My friends, Andrea, Allison, and Nell, as well as my cousin, Tanya, kept me motivated during the run. I literally almost quit coming back over the uphill drawbridge near the end of the race, but then I thought of all the names I was wearing on my back and stayed motivated to run until the end.

It was with tremendous sadness that just days before this year's race, I learned I would have another name to honor and add to my memoriam list of women who have lost their courageous battle with breast cancer. My dear friend/former boyfriend, Glenn ("Gumby") Harris, sadly lost his mother, Gloria Harris, on October 3, 2007. I have known Gumby for close to 20 years and have always had great affection for his family, particularly his mother. She was such a kind, gentle, beautiful soul ... not to mention how incredibly pretty she was. It brought me to such tears when I first learned the news and I even type through tears now. She is a new angel to watch over us all now. My love to her and my wish for peace to her entire family.

My thought, as I ran this year with all those names on my back, was that it is best to honor the memory and legacy of all those who have lost their lives by living well. But as my friend and YSC sister, Julie, pointed out, "It is still just too many names."

Janice, Nell, and me before the race.

My girlfriend, Renee, who organized our team this year.
We raised $5,937.00 as a team!
Renee is a franchise owner of "The Art of Exotic Dancing for Women -- A New You" and was a proud sponsor of this Komen event.

My cousin and running buddy, Tanya.

Allison, Andrea, me, and Tanya.
(These sweet chicas stuck to running with me until the very end.)

My younger cousin, Alyssa, and her girlfriend, Tiffany.

HOT and WORN OUT after the race!

WE DID IT!!!!
(Andy from FSU law school hydrating behind us.)

My sorority sister and fellow BC survivor, Bery, with me.

Allison, Lilliana, Marlon (his wife, Carla, is another survivor), and me.

Me, Julie (from my YSC support group), her sister, Claire, and their two friends.

Julie has the BEST reconstruction I have ever seen!
(I will be thrilled if my hooters wind up looking that good. Damn!)

Julie organized her team after I had already committed to another,
but all the money goes to the same great cause in the end.

Sweat or no sweat, I couldn't believe Allison was having chills in 90 degree weather!

The highlight of my day (everyday) ... FOOD!!!!
Breakfast at News Cafe on South Beach after the race.

3 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Merdice said...

Camille, my mom is going to be tickled pink (no pun intended) when she sees these photos. Thanks for carrying her on your back :) Until your and my mom's diagnosis, I never noticed the breast cancer marketing either. Now it is everywhere, which is a good thing. People need to know about this disease. Keep being the inspiration that you are Camille. You have no idea how much of what I've read here comforted me during my mother's treatment. I have so, so, so much love and respect for you!

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camille,

You look amazing...I'm so proud of you!! Thank you for wearing my sister's name!

CONGRATS!

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos! Congrats on running the whole way. I always have trouble with that myself. :)

KD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home